Monday, September 05, 2005

 

Carol

Carol Bacher

(Review of “Seventh Heaven,” a Broadway play that her father William A. Bacher produced: N.Y. Times, May 22, 1955, page X-1. More about that play in obit. of actress Gene Tierney, N.Y. Times, Nov. 8, 1991.)

Carol was an exec. of Kenyon and Eckhart, a big ad agency in New York. She was the daughter of William A. Bacher, producer of the Broadway play “Seventh Heaven,” and the hit movie “Leave Her To Heaven.” That movie was the biggest money-maker of the year, around 1960. Her mother got furiously mad at my mother (during lunch) when Mom said that I did not intend to marry Carol.

My feelings about possibly marrying her were similar to what I felt about Joan Rivers (see blog about her, below). In the lobbies of theaters where we went, actors and actresses were always coming over and kissing her "hello." She and her family would always be in the limelight, while I would be in the shadows. I would be like the educated Greek slaves that victorious Romans brought home to educate their children --- maybe attractive people, but always still slaves.

Another factor was that I found it enjoyable to be in cocktail parties, theatrical openings, and various other artsy functions, for a few times. But after those few times, I didn't like it, and I couldn't wait till it all would be over, and I could go back home away from the chatter. I found that I am not very sociable, expecially with those "socialite" types. And I didn't really like country clubs (golf, etc.), sailing, traveling through Europe (after the first few times), or the other things you were supposed to do with your money if you were able to accumulate a lot of it.

However, I did enjoy attending the parties that were held right after scientific meetings, with people who were just like me. And I enjoyed the "work," that is, giving and hearing lectures, the lab work we had done, and the "writing up" of scientific articles and books to report it all. That's where I belonged, even though I had been quite able to "make it" in the socialite world.

So I abandoned ship.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?